Skip to main content

Common scrappage questions that we get asked

By December 21, 2019July 26th, 2021No Comments

Whether you’ve scrapped a car before or are just looking into it for the first time there are normally a range of questions that you may have. In this blog we’ll take a look at some of the most common questions we get asked and the answers to these. So sit back, grab a hot drink and take a look through the popular questions to see if yours has been covered.

Can I scrap my car without my V5C?

This is one of the most common questions we get asked and the great news is that yes you can scrap your vehicle without the need for a V5C logbook. But there are a few things that you’ll need to do first. The logbook or V5C is an important document that tells the DVLA who the registered keeper of a vehicle is so in order to scrap your vehicle you’ll need to get in touch with the DVLA to let them know that you’d like to scrap your vehicle.

You will need to tell them:

Your details – Name and address
Vehicle details – Registration number, make, model
Details of scrap yard – Cars-2-Cash
Date of sale – we’ll be able to advise you of this

Using the details above the DVLA will be able to update their details and make sure you are no longer the registered keeper of the car. So whether you’ve misplaced your original logbook, or it’s been completely damaged, you’ll be able to let the DVLA know of your intention to scrap your car.

And while at Cars 2 Cash we’ll be able to scrap your car without your V5C with a valid certificate of insurance you’ll still need to let the DVLA know that your car is off the road and ready to be fully de-registered. Failure to do this could lead to you being prosecuted and fined.

Can my car be scrapped if I’ve lost the car keys?

Again we’ll be happy to scrap your car even if you have lost your car keys but we will need proof that your vehicle belongs to you. This is normally your V5C logbook, if you have lost or misplaced this then we will need a valid insurance certificate showing that the car is insured at your address. We need to make sure that you are the registered owner of the vehicle and can’t scrap vehicles which you can’t prove belong to you.

Will I get money back for my car tax?

If your car is taxed then you will be issued a refund by the DVLA for any remaining unused time remaining. This will happen automatically so you won’t need to apply for a refund manually. If your car has also been insured then don’t forget to contact your insurance company for a refund of any remaining time left on your insurance policy.